Function of the rim

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 05:35:10 -0500

Friends,

At 23:49 9/1/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>If you don't believe me, do the math, make the sample and draw the picture.
>As to the idea that it helps keep a tight coil...well, look at the angles
>involved. It does exactly the opposite. Or look it up in the Journal. When
>pianos using this system are tuned the strings walk down the pin actually
>spreading the coils.
>
>Del

Interesting questioning questioning.

I'm surprised that no one (unless my bifocals tricked me again) has
suggested that the real answer to the original rim function might be among
the following:

E. Varies according to manufacturer's philosophy/advertising/construction
F. All of the above
G. None of the above

...and... Re: pin angle...

Perhaps??
The back angle is the manufacturers' uncharacteristic long range planning
to ensure tight coils after the pins are driven to the hilt, due to
expected premature pinblock failure.

Conrad Hoffsommer, Decorah, IA
Household Hint: A set mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock
  will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep.