soundboard buzz

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:36:15 -0500

Hi listees,

I am working on a ca. 1950's S&S M.  I knew I would be restringing this =
thing and take care of a buzz.  Strings are off, and by pounding on the =
board I can easily produce the buzz.  I have narrowed the location to =
about a 2" (that's inch) circle.  It's the long bridge near the tenor =
just where it dowels to the rib.  By lifting either the bass bridge or =
the tenor bridge I can produce an audible "tick".  Again it sounds like =
the same area.  =20

This is what I have done so far.  I wiggled the bridges while looking at =
the glue joints, and noticed nothing unusual.  I have inspected the =
entire rim to soundboard glue joint, by looking and using my finger =
nail.  It is all solid.  Nothing even approaches anywhere near =
suspicious.  Ribs...the same.  Very solid.  From the top side looking =
down at the fit of the board, again looks pretty good.  Have taken =
wooden veneer and slid under the bridge where it is cut out between the =
ribs.  Nothing.  Removed screws from buttons. Made sure there was =
nothing under the plate, and nothing on the soundboard.  Still buzzes up =
a storm.

There's a funny thing about this buzz.  I listened to the bridge.  It is =
very clear that the sound is coming from this 2" area.  However, I can =
also hear the same buzz not as clear coming from a 5" area along the =
rim.  This buzz is about a foot and a half away from the bridge buzz.  =
But, as I sight along the grain of the board it is exactly in line with =
the bridges' soundboard plank.  Coincidence? =20

With the lightest pressure from my finger I can eliminate the buzz.  I =
can press along the tenor part of the bridge.  I can press along the =
bass bridge apron.  Both get rid of the buzz.  I tested where the least =
amount of pressure made the buzz disappear.  That was in the middle of =
the tenor bridge between the first two "feet". =20

Does anyone have more tests.  Better yet, anyone have any cures.  I'm =
afraid I am going to have to pull bridges off and reglue/dowel.

I've never pulled a bridge loose that wasn't already coming off.  I =
don't know what to expect.  I was going to use some sort of heat to =
loosen glue joints.  But, how much soundboard will come off with the =
bridge?

Hmmm.  I wonder if, since they used hyde glue....could I just heat it =
up, hope it will reflow and let it cool.  Let it reglue itself?

My first try was going to be to drill out the dowels in the ribs and =
replace without taking the bridge off.  It really sounds like the buzz =
is coming from this one rib/bridge "foot".

Any takers?

Mike Bratcher