Make a soundboard--Measurements

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:48:44 -0500

David Love wrote:
> As I start to undertake this process I have been thinking about this and
> how it might be done easily.  My thought was to first make a template out
> of masonite once the board is removed.  To do this lay a sheet of masonite
> over the top of the rim.  Trace a line around the outside of the case.
> Since the case has uniform thickness, you will need to retrace the line
> spaced at the thickness of the case inside the original scribed line.  Take
> off an extra 1/8 " which will allow for 1/16" clearance all around.  Cut
> out the masonite form which can now be used as a template for all similar
> models.  Use the form to cut the panel to the right shape and size.  Make
> the ribs and set them into the existing notches in the rim.  Lay the panel
> over the ribs and mark on the board the placement from underneath.  Then
> glue them on.   Comments?

The original soundboard (if handled properly) is an excellent template
for many things (rough panel shape, rib placement and rib scallop
dimensions). Making a universal template doesn't work too well since the
shape of the rim can vary quite a bit from piano to piano.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979