Make a soundboard--Measurements

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:51:36 -0600

>As I start to undertake this process I have been thinking about this and
>how it might be done easily.  My thought was to first make a template out
>of masonite once the board is removed.  To do this lay a sheet of masonite
>over the top of the rim.  Trace a line around the outside of the case.
>Since the case has uniform thickness, you will need to retrace the line
>spaced at the thickness of the case inside the original scribed line.  Take
>off an extra 1/8 " which will allow for 1/16" clearance all around.  Cut
>out the masonite form which can now be used as a template for all similar
>models.  Use the form to cut the panel to the right shape and size.  Make
>the ribs and set them into the existing notches in the rim.  Lay the panel
>over the ribs and mark on the board the placement from underneath.  Then
>glue them on.   Comments?
>
>David Love

You will find that the rim isn't the same thickness all around, especially
when you cut anything based on that assumption. You may also find that it
is just as easy to lay the panel on top of the rim and mark it from
underneath with a pencil, outlining the inner edge of the rim, and
dispensing with the pattern altogether. Mark the belly rail after the rest
is fitted to your satisfaction. Marking rib placement from underneath with
a pencil works where you can reach, but the last few ribs are difficult, so
you might either be back to making a pattern, or pin locating ribs on the
panel as we discussed pretty extensively a few months ago.

Ron N