ringing

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:26:25 -0600

Good reply, Tom Sivak, you've probably nailed it.  But just in =
case........

Ed, can the customer tell you when the ringing started?  Change of =
weather, some small change in decorating?  I got a call back when a =
customer told me one of the pedals didn't work after I tuned her piano.  =
I returned and found that she had placed a rather thick area rug under =
the lyre (you know, to protect the wall-to-wall carpeting) so the pedal =
didn't have quite enough clearance. =20

Is it a true ringing or sort of a ringing buzz?  Gosh, without being =
there to hear the actual sound it's sort of hard to advise. There are a =
*multitude* of places to check. My favorite was when I learned that =
CASTERS can take on a musical life of their own (push down on the leg or =
back corner or wedge something under the caster to test).  Some other =
things to check in the piano are (help welcomed here) :

Case hardware=20
Loose rails in the action
Pedal rods=20
Action brackets might not be seated well. =20

Outside the piano is anybody's guess and always a possibility.  Have the =
customer play while you touch every knick-knack, picture frame, light =
bulb, air duct cover, etc.

Isn't hunting for ringing and buzzes FUN?  It's my FAVORITE part of =
working on pianos!  (NOT)   One time as I sat on the floor in front of a =
small vertical piano, playing the offending note while putting pressure =
on the bass bridge with my foot, I said to the customer, "See, if you =
sit down here and play like this, there's no problem!"  :-)

I didn't check the archives, there might have already been a good =
discussion of this type of problem.

Good luck!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

PS  I used to have a list, pages long, of things that could ring, buzz =
or clunk in a piano.  Sorry, I couldn't find the list, but I did have an =
interesting time reading through some other stuff!  :-)
  ----- Original Message -----=20