ringing

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:08:25 -0800

I need some input about a piano that has a serious damping (actually a =
non-damping) problem.  Tones continue to ring after the key is released. =
 It is particularly bad on F#4 which rings at its own pitch, G#4 to a =
lesser extent, and C#3, D3, and D#3 which rings at the double octave + =
5th.  The piano is a Baldwin Acrosonic #386458.  The owner is a piano =
teacher which makes the problem a bit more acute (It's driving her out =
of her mind).

So far I have adjusted the pedals to be sure that they are damping well =
and they seem to be.  I tried muting the non-speaking parts of all =
strings, and blocked off all the bass strings in their speaking lengths, =
as well as the treble strings above the dampers.  F#3 still singing like =
a canary.  I even blocked the F#3 string itself, and it goes "Bonk" when =
the hammer strikes but continues singing the tone the same as before.  I =
moved the piano out from the wall and checked to make sure there was =
nothing contacting the sound board.  I tapped the strings to the bridge =
to be sure that there wasn't some risidual vibration being made there.  =
There is a bit of a false beat in the left string of F#3, but that =
shouldn't cause the excess ringing.  G4 not ringing, F#4 and G#4 are. =20

There are a lot of knick-knacks in the room, and I wonder about =
suspecting some vibration in that area.=20

If anyone has a suggestion as to what I might try in order to eliminate =
this annoying problem I would be grateful for your input.

Ed Carwithen
Associate PTG
John Day, OR