Wurzen felt

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:16:36 +0200

On vrijdag, okt 24, 2003, at 11:30 Europe/Amsterdam, Michael Gamble
wrote:

> Andre - Could you dig out some info on the piano make "Steingraeber" I
> have
> never heard of it in the UK and my puny knowledge needs up-grading.
> They
> seem to be another "Fazioli", Right? Please post specs and data if you
> can.
> Regards
> Michael G (UK)

OK,
Steingraeber is not a Fazioli.
They have been in the field much longer and so they got a 'background'.
It is the same with buildings, old and new : A bunch of new buildings
have no personality, yet, an older bunch of buildings we call a town.
An old town has, usually, personality, or not.
Compare Steingraeber with Oxford, and you know exactly what I mean.
Steingraeber is not Ferrari, Mercedes or BMW (yet). Compare
Steingraeber with Rover, Lancia, and Jaguar, and you probably
understand what I am saying.

For more specific info, go to :

http://www.steingraeber.de/

 From your posts to Pianotech I assume that your age is somewhere
between 28 and 32 (?)

> What about
> "Royal George" then :-)

Royal george we found for some time on Yamaha's.

> What felts do Fazioli

Fazioli has made use of Abel, so far.

> and Steinway use I wonder?

Steinway has always used the very best felt available and today they,
of course, use Wurzen.
You see Michael, this is actually very interesting for all of us :
In the old days, almost everybody used Weickert/Wurzen.
Then the Commies decided to enlarge their territory and the East of
Germany fell into their greedy red hands.
That marks the end of the Wurzen era and the beginning of decades of
lousy hammer felt.
The older European technicians may clearly remember the difference :
the going down in quality of the former majestic instrument builders
and the rise of those awful East European and Russian crappola pianos
like Zimmerman, Tschaika, Czerny, the rape of a name like Rhönisch and
Perzina, the appearance of cheap Petrofs, Röslers and Försters with
really really awful hammers (felt).

And then........
After the fall of the Berlin wall and the reunification of the two
Germany's, the coming back of Wurzen felt, because the former owners
were able to retrieve their former possessions.

I was probably among the first technicians here to become aware of the
new felt on the market (by sheer coincidence) and recognize the instant
improvement in quality.
No wonder I wrote so many e-mails about it, and after all it does not
surprise me that still only a limited amount of people know about the
finest of the finest.
I consider myself as a typical example of an ordinary technician with a
reasonable amount of talent and with actually a lower grade piano
education. I have spent many years of my 'profession' milling around
like a Don Quichotte without really having any practical knowledge. It
happens to most of us because our awareness and consciousness of real
quality and substantial improvements usually comes with age and
experience, or because we were blessed and privileged with good Karma
and kind benefactors.
Knowledge is the key to understanding and then the process of
understanding is not like an instant coffee...
If I had known that etc etc.......

> It
> doesn't matter what the subject is, there's always a gap in one's
> knowledge:-!

Thanks! You got it!