no charge to good steady customers

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:26:54 -0500

I can't understand how a piano that hasn't been tuned in 3-5 years could
still sound great.  How stable can the environment be?  Even with humidity
control, there is bound to be small oscillations in temperature and
humidity that will move the pitch over a period of 3-5 years.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      Greg Newell
                      <gnewell@ameritec        To:       phil@philbondi.com, Pianotech
                      h.net>                    <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      pianotech-bounces        Subject:  Re: no charge to good steady customers
                      @ptg.org

                      10/07/2003 03:10
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Phil,
        I don't think it's an issue of being fair to the tech community
since they are not my paying customers here. I do this type of thing fairly
regularly. If you wish to keep her as a steady customer you can't charge
her when service isn't needed. There is a corollary in almost any other
service industry.  Think of what your mechanic charges you and how you'd
feel if he did so whether you needed anything or not. You've obviously
thought this through and in my opinion your thoughts are right on target.
        In general I usually ask first time customers how they intend to
use their piano. If they respond that it's just for piano lessons and their
budget doesn't seem to be "sky's the limit" then I may even stray from the
6 month tuning schedule and recommend something less like once a year or
even every other if they seem to have a piano in a stable environment (A/C
in summer and added humidity in winter) It's not unusual for me to visit
customers whom I haven't seen in 3-5 years who's piano still sounds great!
I end up doing exactly what you describe. A quick touch up and a general
looking over followed by a token fee. Seems that those folk are some of the
most active in giving me referrals too!

Greg