tuning hammer

Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:35:23 +0100

Hello Don - Yes, you'r right. In fact the tuning (or wrest) pin was split at
the end and a wedge driven into that split so that when you bonked it
further into the wrest-plank it expanded and so got tighter. Those
Victorians knew a thing or three. The older Brinsmead Grands are a case in
point. Heaven help you if you break a pin though...! I use such a tuning
hammer on any grand I have to tune and find I derive a better and finer
tuning thereby. I sometimes actually use the "hammer" part for its original
purpose - but always in conjunction with a wrest pin punch. I also find
another use for the "T" hammer - in upright pianos for taking out wrest
pins. It is much faster!
One thing I would like to get to the bottom of in the correspondence lately
is the use of a "dummy pin" What on earth is a "Dummy Pin" , and as for
"beckets" I use a pair of strong duck-billed pliers to sinch these flat to
the wrest pin. Never found any problems thereafter.
Oh yes - don't fergit to use the tensioning roller on the metals and give a
hefty pull on the covereds to pre-stretch them. Though I guess this is
Teaching the Grandmother Syndrome.
Michael G