Individual aliquots on a Mason "&" Hamlin

Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:21:18 -0700

Joe:

Why would the piano sound like crap?   The reason I'm considering it is
partly cost/benefit, partly aesthetics.  Repositioning the things is, as
John H. mentions, a pain.  Then there's polishing each one of them out and
putting a finish coat on them.  I've already removed the ones on the tuning
pin side and replaced them with a continuous bar moved toward the edge of
the plate to shorten the length of the counterbearing section to try and
clean up the termination.  Changes from the client's perspective are not a
problem as we have already discussed a few changes such as replacing the
trichord wrapped with bichord wrapped on the tenor bridge and rescaling
overall since new bridgecaps were put on.  I didn't really want to open the
duplex issue, but maybe that's the question.  I personally haven't found
any significant or detectable difference with tuned and untuned duplexes.
John H. and Ron N. seem to suggest there would be no functional change, I'm
assuming that includes tonal differences.  So I'm interested in hearing
opinions, especially from those who might have made that change.  The
design of a continuous bar certainly exists on many high quality
instruments, so I'm just wondering if I've thought it through well enough.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net