String Removal during Restring with Original Pins

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 01:07:07 -0400

At 9:20 PM -0700 10/3/03, David Love wrote:
>I don't know about the effect on the rim and soundboard (though I can't
>imagine it would be a problem),

It might be an issue were I changing TPs instead of strings. Then,
maintaining the string load might save time in settling the old wire
on the new pins. Here, it's the wire that's new. Fresh wire moots the
issue.

>but I like to take everything off and
>unload the board to compare the bearing loaded and unloaded to see if I
>might want to make adjustments.

Natch! Very good idea! (It's a 1960 D, restrung already, maybe
fifteen years ago. It popped four treble wires this summer, one in
the middle of a piano-four-hands version of Stravinsky's "Rite of
Spring".)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"So, I hear you like baked goods"
     ...........A new customer, very happy to see me