Mold Removal

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:46:11 -0400

Action and keys and anything else that unscrews from interior - bead blast or replace. Rest of interior - try a variety of cleaners - Joe G. had some suggestions. I would experiment with standard household cleaners first. I can't imagine that you need to go the Perk route.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "William R. Monroe - A440 Piano Serv" <pianowrmonroe@tm.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 11:24 PM
Subject: Mold Removal

Hi folks.  Wondering if any of you have any ideas about removing mold from a piano.  The instrument in question is a late 1800's Chickering BOU - Exquisite - Save for mold.  This piano is structurally so good, it is unbelievable.  However, it has mold EVERYWHERE - felts, leathers, wood, glue joints, etc.  I ordinarily would flatly refuse any mold removal work.  Not worth the health risks.  But this piano could be so nice.  Archives were not of much help, only relating to something or other POS, er, PSO.  Any thoughts out there?  I've heard of using dry cleaning chemicals, but am not sure how to apply.  Thanks for your help.

William R. Monroe
Assoc.
Madison,WI