Grand backchecks

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:49:49 -0400

List,

            I performed some regulation on an older Baldwin L today.
This action was rebuilt with all new action parts two years ago by
another tech. and needed routine regulation to put things back in order.

            The problem is with the checking. On a light blow the
hammers are bouncing off the top of the backchecks. The rep .lever
springs are adjusted correctly, key dip, blow, and after touch are all
fine. Hammer tails are well prepped also. Changing the backcheck angle
helped somewhat, but the symptom persists. The backchecks are 1 =BC =93 =
long
and I=92m thinking that a longer backcheck is necessary.

            I see in the pianotech catalog an =93old=94 Steinway =
backcheck
listed.

            Advice appreciated.

            Tom Driscoll