new Wm. Knabe from Samick

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:06:06 -0700

I would concur the diagnosis of your blocking problem.  I service a lot
of Chinese pianos that have this blocking problem, though it isn't
limited to Chinese pianos.  I like to see the hammers in check at least
5/8" from the string, and the checking of the hammers should give a
little feedback to your finger as the key bottoms out.  If the hammer
moves more than a fraction forward after it's caught, there's usually
too much dip (and aftertouch).  Simply bending the backcheck won't solve
the problem.  You can also see if the jack tip is clear of the butt, and
how far it moves when the key is bottomed out. If it's more than
necessary (a 1/16th" or so) you have too much.  For solving this, you
could put punchings under the front rail, lower the balance rail or move
the hammer rail back, or adjust the letoff closer to the strings (or a
combination of these).
Good luck!
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Clyde Hollinger
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 4:58 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: new Wm. Knabe from Samick

Randy and list,

I may have asked about the new Knabes when a customer of mine was
considering
the purchase of a studio model WKV-118F, which they bought last year.  I
had
looked at the piano at that time and considered it to be well built and
a good
value for the money.

The customer took advantage of the free tuning(s) from the dealer, and I
tuned
the piano for the first time in April this year.  Other than being
pretty
wildly flat, it seemed fine to me.  I tuned it again last week.  On a
fairly
hard blow, some of the hammers would block against the string, or if
they
didn't, by putting a little more pressure on the key you could make it
block.
On many keys the checking was very close, like maybe 1/4" or so.

I know regulation is not my forte because I do not do much of it, but my
perception was that there was too much key dip.  I have only a 3/8"
block, and
on most of the piano the dip was an additional 1/16" or even more than
that.
The real problem may be movement of the keybed with humidity, or maybe
the
front rail punchings were too squishy and packed down too quickly.  In
any
case, I decided to wait until the next tuning to see how it will be when
the
humidity is lower, in November of December.  I doubt that a warranty
will
cover this work.

Thoughts, anyone?  Other than this, I still think it is a beautiful
vertical
piano.

Regards,
Clyde

ranjacob@umich.edu wrote:

> I'm not sure that it's OK to ask such a question on this list; if
> not, I gladly withdraw it.  But, I responded a year ago to a post
> that asked for people's experiences with new Knabes from Samick.
>
> I'd just managed to see one for a very short period of time.
> Probably a 5 foot 7 inch or smaller.  It seemed very solid, even,
> interesting and potentially even more interesting in tone, from
> the standpoint of possible variety of tone with different touch,
> and so forth.
>
> I didn't see any other responses on this list. I just had a
> chance to compare a new 5 foot 7 inch (WKG-57) and a new 6 foot
> 1 inch (WKG-61), Wm. Knabe, side by side, for a longer period of time.
The