Rib overkill

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:56:46 -0500

Hi list,

I was following the post about soundboard installations, and had some =
questions for the pros out there.

I remember Ron N. mentioning that he gets a general idea of what the =
load on the board will be once strung.  I'm assuming he now has an idea =
how tall to make the ribs to support this load.

What are the consequences of going a step further?  Will this make the =
board too stiff?  Will the bass suffer?  I think I also remember Del =
mentioning something about a board giving too much of a percussive sound =
and not as much string sound.  Is this with a board that is too stiff?

How does the thickness of the board relate to how much load it can =
support?  And in relation to the rib thickness?  I'm sure all these =
things are interrelated.  What are the trade-offs?  Next, I'm sure the =
size of the board is a factor.  A smaller piano will have more support =
from the rim, because the there is more rim per area of board.  Yet =
another factor to consider, aye?

How does one judge or weigh the trade-offs?  There are so many =
variables.

There's no real point here to my questions.  I am always trying to learn =
more about my trade.  And who else do I learn from other than the folks =
who do this every day?

Mike Bratcher