The Right Tool for the Right Job Revisited

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:39:15 -0700

For removing coils, I have two tools: 1. Is my trusty side cutting needle
nose pliers. Practically every pair I have seen have on thin side, this is
the side I use....IF when the coil is loosened the becket pops out enough to
get a grip on it with the pliers. 2. For those cranky beckets, I have
modified<G> an awl for that specific job. I ground one side flat and then
put a bit of a inward curve to the flat. It is self-aligning on the tuning
pin, so you just slide it down to the becket and insert the point between
the tuning pin and the becket. A slight vertical pry and out it comes.
("Slicker than deer guts on a door knob!", to quote one of my good "redneck
buddies. <G>)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)