The Right Tool for the Right Job Revisited

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:22:36 -0700

And since a screwdriver is made for twisting rather than prying, what is
wrong with twisting a screwdriver in the slot that is formed between the
paint can and the cover?

Bill Maxim, RPT

To answer your question: It dulls the blade! That's the short answer. The
long answer is: IMO, if you get in the habit of using "whatever is handy"
for whatever job you are immersed in, then you will develop poor tool habits
and probably poor skill habits and many times poor quality work. That was
the philosophy my olde shop teacher was trying to convey. For me, it stuck.
Yes, there are times when "making do" gets the job done, with decent
quality, etc. However, I would rather "make" a tool specific for a specific
job and only use it occasionally, resulting in better results, than mess up
my expensive tools, cobbling them, by using them for something they are not
intended to do. I guess it's ok if all your tools are from Sears, where, no
matter what, if the tool breaks, take it back for a new one, ....no
questions asked. Even that, is no longer true! Sears will only honor certain
tools, nowadays. :-( DAMHIK!
As we, as a difinitive group, pride ourselves in the finest craftsmanship, I
think we should always strive to enhance that "craftsmanship" by learning
about our tools and using them properly.
Flame suit zipped tight/full frog!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)