The Right Tool for the Right Job Revisited

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:32:28 -0500

This brings up another question, or maybe the same one. I've tried all
sorts of things when de-stringing. I've cut them at the counter bearing and
pulled them straight up off of the pins (lots of sparks and shrapnel and
too hard on the wrists), clipped the beckets with a hollow punch (the loose
pieces are still in the pin and eternally resist me lifting the coil off of
the pin), cut the string at the coil and backed the pins coil and all out
with the drill (this isn't bad), spun the pins out without cutting
anything, depending on the becket to break by itself (more sparks,
occasional terrifying and painful surprises [not recommended]), cut the
wire somewhere between becket and agraffe and pried the becket and coil off
with the modified screwdriver (which is what I seem to come back to).

I know the preferred method is to have a sacrificial shop slave do it, but
what do the rest of you do when you have to do your own work?
Ron N