OT - Re: That French Pianist

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:09:19 -0400

Friends,

Before you jump to conclusions, like I almost did, about what is
happening here, read the story.

My first response from reading Carman's email was--  What has the world
come to when some musicians will do *anything* to make the news?
Nothing is too absurd, too outrageous, too ridiculous, as long as it
bumps someone into the limelight so they can make a name for themselves.

But you need to understand, this story hit me at the "wrong" time.  I
awoke at 5, and since I perceived I wasn't going to be able to get back
to sleep again, I went downstairs and watched a video I rented with the
intention of showing it to my high schoolers at church this morning (I
had seen it once before).  It is titled "Carpe Diem" by Tony Campolo.
I'm quite sure only a small percentage of you have ever heard the name.
He teaches against ordering our lives around nothing more significant
than making money so we can pamper ourselves and buy more toys.

After watching 37 minutes of that, I come up to my computer and read
this story about Duchable.  Taking what I read at face value, Duchable
(whom I've never heard of before) is not attempting to be outrageous to
make a name for himself.  He has found what he does as a performer too
narrow, or maybe too meaningless, and is attempting to break out of a
ticky-tack box.  And if that is what is happening, then I applaud him.

This is personal, you see.  Judging from a recent PTG survey, I earn
more than most piano technicians.  While I am thankful for what I earn,
the value of my life is not in that.  God forbid (atheists please ignore
the reference) that I reach the end of life (I'm 56 already!) and have
nothing more to show for it than a nice house and car that make other
people think I've arrived.

I want to make a positive difference in the lives of people.  So far, I
think I've been on the right track, but it is possible that my
inclinations will take me farther from my wage-earning occupation.  And
since I believe in life after death, I am interested not only in the now
but also in the hereafter.

Pretty heavy stuff, huh?  <G>

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT