soundboardinstal again

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:37:06 -0700

I see, so there is a large "by feel" component in prestresssing the board.
I can accept that.  So then you pound on the board while inserting the
wedges until it feels right and then set the bearing.  What relevance,
then, is the amount of deflection.  For example, David Hughes writes that
he aims for about 3mm at the centermost strut.  Is this, then, just a check
to be sure that the board, when stressed to your satisfaction by feel,
hasn't moved farther than you anticipated serving as a general indication
of stiffness?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Hohf