x x

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:23:42 +0200

Kenneth,

These are the kind of things I could think of, if the bridge is not holding
well too, but this is more noticeable.

Other reasons may occur.

Bests
Isaac OLEG

  I recently have seen 3 pianos (all Baldwins...) that 'would not hold a
tune'. In 2 cases I had to glue the pin block to the frame because the
original glue had failed. In the 3rd case one of the plate struts (between
the treble break) was broken and the more I tightened the strings the more
the crack opened up and the plate bent. That customer has a new piano!

  Having also had some major flooding in our area about 30 years ago I see
the occaisional piano that the bottom of the frame is rotting away and it
won't stay in tune. In all cases the culpret seems to be flexing/deformation
of the plate.

  Hope this helps!

  will wickham