x x

PatchWick@aol.com PatchWick@aol.com
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:22:39 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2003 3:15:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kennyfin@jetstream.net writes:

> I have a piano, donated to our little white church in the village, the name
> on the decal is VOSE &Sons. It was made in the 70's by Aeolian, Tennesee. A
> drop action. I think the cabinet design was very well thought out. Other than
> that, it won't hold it's tune, and it's terrible.
>
> I remember when I worked for the music store, we shipped in a whole
> truckload of these inexpensive pianos, the driver came directly from there to here,
> thousands of miles, from Tennesee to BC. In the early 80's, they were sold for
> about $1,200.00.
>
> It won't hold it's tune, and I can't figure out why. Looking down from the
> top with the lid open, the pin block seems very good material, twelve ply
> heart and second growth.
>
> Because it is the Church, I figured, well, I'll give them a break and do
> something nice for them. I repinned the whole thing, for a fraction of the cost.
>
> The pins feel pretty good. It still won't hold it's tune. What's wrong?
> Should I have gone two sizes larger to #4? The pressure bar is solid, and seems
> the right angle. What else?
>
> All the screws are tight, otherwise it seems a normal piano.
>
> Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
>
> Kenny Finlayson, RPT

I recently have seen 3 pianos (all Baldwins...) that 'would not hold a tune'.
In 2 cases I had to glue the pin block to the frame because the original glue
had failed. In the 3rd case one of the plate struts (between the treble
break) was broken and the more I tightened the strings the more the crack opened up
and the plate bent. That customer has a new piano!

Having also had some major flooding in our area about 30 years ago I see the
occaisional piano that the bottom of the frame is rotting away and it won't
stay in tune. In all cases the culpret seems to be flexing/deformation of the
plate.

Hope this helps!

will wickham