Steinway M Player

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:43:55 -0500

It should be a model XM.  In my opinion the keys being overly extended take
away from the correct feel of a normal grand.  Almost always the sostenuto
mechanism was pitched with the ex player mechanism.  Generally less worth
than the regular M
Jim
James Grebe
Piano Tuner-Technician
Wood Artisan
Established 1962
Creator  of Wooden Artifacts such as:
Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
Handsome Hardwood Piano  Benches
314 845-8282
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 3:47 PM
Subject: Steinway M Player

> Inspected a Steinway grand today for upgrading/fixing/whatevering.
Original condition, worn out, 1920, former player. The piano measures about
6' 1" overall - with about six inches of dead area just forward of the
plate - which would yield a piano about 5' 7" in length. So I imagine this
is a model "M" player?

> I think salvage value on an old "M" is in the $5K to $7K range. Is that
about right? How does the ex-player configuration affect value? I presume
its value would be somewhat less than a regular "M"?

> I just don't have any experience with these former players. How might the
player configuration affect action performance (man that thing has some
looooooong keys!)?