Removing bridge caps

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:03:29 -0500

David,

My mentor/part-time-employer, Tim Dixon RPT, taught me his method for
re-capping, and I have done a few for him in the last two years.

One tool that can make planing down a bridge cap a little less of a pain in
the @$$, is a scrub plane.   It removes material much faster than a
conventional plane.   Lee Valley has a nice one at
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=46873&category=1,41182&ccurrency
=2&SID=

As you get close to the joint, use progressively more precise planes:  a
smaller scrub plane (or adjust the big one for a shallower cut, then a 10"
block plane, and finally a small low angle block plane.  With the low angle
plane adjusted for extremely thin shavings, and well sharpened, you can get
to the point where you can see the dark brown of the hide glue joint
through a translucent layer of cap wood - just the faintest trace of wood
grain on top of the glue.  At this point, either scrape or steam.  I prefer
just scraping, since the steam raises grain and flushes glue and crud down
the bridge pin holes.

Some pianos (M&H) are much easier to do this way than others (Yamaha).  A
lot depends on the uniformity of the original cap grain.  But if it works,
you end up with a very level foundation requiring only minimal additional
fitting to the new cap.

hope this helps

Mike Spalding RPT