Removing bridge caps

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:17:07 -0700

What are the best ways people have found to remove an old bridge cap
(attached to the board) when one wants to preserve the maximum amount of
bridge root, i.e., separating the body from the cap at the joint.  I have
planed them down in the past.  I recall seeing a jig to hold a router bit
that straddled the bridge as well which I have not used (and don't recall
the exact design).  But I have never tried to take the cap off at the old
joint.  Can this be done effectively by, say, planing down near the joint
and steaming it to loosen what is probably hide glue (1923).  Or might this
potentially compromise the vertical laminations of the root?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net