Old Sherman and Clay Grand--Steinert in disguise?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:07:23 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 3:32 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Old Sherman and Clay Grand--Steinert in disguise?

Hello list,

I tuned a really interesting old piano yesterday.  It is a Sherman and
Clay grand, I'd estimate it's length at 6' 4" or so.  Really nice old
beast.  I didn't have time to give it a really thorough lookover, but it
tuned nicely despite a few looser-than-desirable-pins, and had a really
interesting, full sound.  The KO was far less troublesome that I would
have thought from a piano that age.

The serial number put it at 1925, and the T above the number must be the
model.  The Pierce Atlas said that these old Sherman and Clays were made
by either Steinert or Haddorf.   I'm thinking Steinert.  I've seen a few
of them, and they were very solid instruments.  Anybody familiar with
these pianos?

It's always nice to find these oldies but goodies!

Dave Stahl

            Dave,

            Lots of them here in the Northeast. Look for the Steinway
pedal system in the lyre box, Wessell Nickel Gross ( Spelling?)Action,
Individual aliquots in the rear duplex. I'm working on one now that is a
S.S. model "O" copy @6'1". The scaling and plate to my knowledge are
exact copies of the Steinway models.

            There are lots of "M" and "O" and some"S" copies by Stienert
around here.

            Tom Driscoll