Delignet blocks and screws

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:40:10 -0700

I just stripped down a MH c 1923 that, as I discovered, had had the
pinblock replaced in 1979.  The block was replaced with a Delignet block.
Trying to get the pinblock screws out of the piano turned out to be quite
an ordeal.  They were completely frozen in the block and two of the longer
screws (at the struts) sheared off.  Is this typical behavior for Delignit
blocks?  Though I am going to replace the block, I have another question.
Were I to reuse a Delignit block, what is the best way to approach the next
tuning pin size.  These were 2/0 and were fairly tight, though quite
corroded.  Had I gone up to a number 3/0 they may very well have been too
tight.  With Delignit blocks is it best to redrill when repinning?

On another matter.  Where is the best place to buy quality large screws
such as are found in these pianos.  This set is going to be retired.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net