high or low?

Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:37:16 -0700

Not being a scale design person, but judging from observation, I would
think high or low tension has to do with the amount of tension per string
on average calculated using speaking length, string diameter and target
CPS.  Looking at various scale data, it seems that on average, in the tenor
and treble sections, low tension pianos come in around 150 lbs per string
while high tension pianos come in around 160 - 165 lbs per string.  Bass
string scaling seems then to be calculated to create a smooth transition in
total tension note for note through the bass.  The question as it pertains
to this thread and ETD users (and scale designers for that matter) is how
these differences effect inharmonicity and loudness.  Different scale
designers seem to choose to balance the effects of tension in terms of
loudness and inharmonicity in different ways while keeping other limiting
factors in mind (such as breaking points).    Perhaps there are some out
there who can comment in more and better detail.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

L's