Flat-tery was RE: lessons learned

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:50:13 -0500

After explanations and pre-agreement with the client, I generally always
tune the piano to pitch and charge for any pitch correction. I use this
opportunity, also, to try and get them on a regular tuning schedule
(most at 6 mos, some annual).

If the piano is a little sharp in summer or flat in winter, but
otherwise fairly in tune with itself, I will often tune it where it
sits. But I will also educate, explain, and get agreement from the
owner.

But if it were 11 cents flat in January and you didn't see the piano
until the following January, you might have to deal with a piano that is
16+ flat. Then what? Sooner or later the piper must be paid and I think
we all agree that a piano almost always sounds its best at pitch.

As for me, anyway, I like to get 'em in tune and on pitch, keep 'em
tuned and on pitch, service the whole piano, educate, involve customers
in decisions on tuning & repairs (giving real options when possible),
make friends, and build repeat business.

About building the business and making money:

When I bring a piano to pitch and charge them for it, I also tell them
that if I tune that piano every six months, at least, I will keep it at
pitch (slight seasonal swings notwithstanding) and not charge them if it
needs extra work to do it. Incentive!

As to people with limited resources ... yes, there are cases. I'm
remembering a charming little girl who's piano teacher told her she must
get her piano tuned or the teacher could not keep teaching her. The
beast was about 150 cents flat, on average, and all over the board--some
unisons made fairly  decent triads! I don't know how much money they had
but it was obvious that the parents didn't like spending it on piano
tuning. So I PR'd and tuned it twice for the price of one tuning ... for
the kid's sake, period. Three years now and they haven't had me back
despite reminders.

BUT I've been around a few years in this business and many years in
others. It is astonishing how many people will cry poor over a few bucks
while blowing scads of money on booze, tobacco, snazzy cars, pick-ups
with 36" wheels, eight shotguns, a new bass boat, and ... well, you get
the idea.

I think it's a BIG mistake to work cheap. Charity is one thing; being
walked all over is quite another. Been there, done that, got the
souvenir T-shirt.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO