lessons learned

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:58:06 -0400

Scott,

This is a good reminder.  When examining a "flat" piano for the first time, one of the questions I ask is whether or not it will be played with anything else.  Of course I recommend the piano be raised to pitch before tuning unless it looks like
an old beater where caution is in order, but I still give the client the option of just tuning it at a lower pitch to save a few bucks.

No doubt some of us will see that as too compromising, but it's their piano and their money, and for some of them the money is in short supply.  (Hope I didn't open a can of worms here.)

Incidentally, today I tuned for a first-time customer who said the piano was tuned a year or two ago, and it really looked like she was right!  Not the ordinary occurrence.

Regards,
Clyde