STEINWAY B TOUCHWEIGHT

Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:48:54 -0700

For all you touchweight and new-piano-prep enthusiasts out there.  These
are the data provided to me by a customer who just bought a new Steinway B.
He complained to the dealer about it being heavy.  The dealer sent a tech
out who adjusted the key dip and pronounced the problem cured.  The
customer gave me the UW and DW.  I calculated the Friction and BW for him.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the measurements but the trend seems
consistent.  My suggestion was that he will probably have to move the
capstan, smooth the hammer weights ( or strike weights if you prefer),
address the action centers balance rail pin and bushings, regulate and
rebalance the action (at least).

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

NOTE    DW           UW            Friction(g)        Balance Weight(g)

C1        62               35              13.5                48.5
G1        62               31              15.5                46.5
C2        58               31              13.5                44.5
G2        65               28              18.5                46.5
C3        59               28              15.5                43.5
G3        65               23              21.                  44
C4        62               33              14.5                47.5
G4        58               25              16.5                41.5
C5        62                30             16                   46
G5        64                28             19                   46
C6        58                33             12.5                45.5
G6        53                25             14                   39
C7        54                26             14                   40
G7        50               33              13.5                41.5