Intermittent ZINGing Chopin on M&H 1923 model AA

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't followed every detail of this thread, but I had a zinging note
in my own piano. It was metallic sounding. I think it's also called a
"sizzle". I checked the string terminations, dampers, etc. I moved every
metallic thing in the room to make sure it wasn't sympathetic vibrations.
I had some temporary success by repositioning the strings on the v-bar. I
finally called an experienced tech in my chapter to look at it. He thought
it was a voicing problem. I didn't believe him until I tried a little
hammer shaping and then a small amount of needling, and the zing went
away.

For what it's worth,

Charles Neuman
PTG Assoc, Long Island