Strange bridge in a Steinway

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 17:40:00 -0600

Calin,
   Only had one problem with the first one of those I encountered. The
piano sounded great, but was shipped to a dealer...uh... far away. The tech
for the dealer told him that the bridge was separated from the board and
the delivery was denied, piano shipped back, etc. etc. Real shame. On the
same piano there was a layer of darker wood, about .125, that ran through a
section of the bridge near the killer octave. The layer wasn't strictly
horizontal, or evenly parallel to the top of the bridge, and it created an
optical illusion of a horizontal sloping split in the bridge. 1890ish S&S
"A". Rosewood, 85 note.
    Thanks to advice and knowledge from experts on this list, we just
checked it out and sold it to someone else. They loved it.

    You'll find that feature on older S&S uprights, also.

Regards,
Guy Nichols