A string's treatment/ Isaac

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:47:47 -0500

Cy,

I think that what is often referred to as "string stretching" is actually
string bending.  Every place that the string changes directions (becket,
pressure bar or duplex, v-bar, bridge pins, aliquot, hitch pin), the string
needs to conform as closely as possible to the surface it is bending
around.  To the extent that we can tighten these bends during stringing,
the initial tunings will be less unstable.  Even in the best scenario,
these bends continue to "improve" for several tunings/years, until they
eventually settle down and are less of a factor than all the other things
which cause pianos to go out of tune.

Mike Spalding RPT