lessons learned

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:53:35 EDT

To all

Today I taught myself a couple of lessons.   First of all, I will never break
the following rule ever again:

Don't ever...ever....even TOUCH a plastic flange unless it is glued to the
doorknob of the exit door and even only then if there's no other way out.

I replaced a set of elbows today.   I knew that it had plastic wippen
flanges.   Why was I so careless snapping that first elbow in place?   The price?
Removal of the spinet action to replace the cracked plastic wippen flange.

The other 87 elbows snap in place with no further problem due to extreme care
on my part.   Adjust the lost motion and...play the piano.   Hmmm...the
hammer on middle C is double striking.   I'll just move the backcheck forward
and... (What was I thinking...?)

Out comes the spinet action to replace the newly broken plastic wippen
flange.   While replacing the wippen flange I brush against a damper lever and...now
I can replace the plastic damper flange on that damper lever and... the one
next to it which I also bumped into with the screwdriver.

Back goes the action and as I play the piano I realize that the damper lever
on D5 is not damping due to it's also being cracked.   (I did look at them all
while they were out of the piano, but it was not visually apparent.)   Now, I
was nowhere near D5 so I wonder if this was a pre-existing problem, which
leads me to the next lesson I learned:

Check the piano first to see if there are any problems.

BTW, my original service call on this piano was 6 months ago at which time I
replaced 4 elbows and informed the client of the existence of all the plastic
flanges, and the costs involved in replacing them.   I advised him NOT to put
any money into this Lester spinet, other than replacing those 4 elbows that
had already broken.   Six months later he called to tell me to go ahead with the
elbows.    In the back of my mind I was thinking, wasn't this the piano with
all the plastic flanges?   But rather than say anything, I just went ahead and
made the appointment.   Which leads me to the last lesson for the day:

Take better notes on each piano for future reference.

I rarely share my experiences with others on the list.    Hope this was worth
reading...

Tom Sivak