Collard & Collard Questions

Cliff Lesher lesher@jdweb.com
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:16:02 -0400

A long one...

I aim this in the direction of Jack Wyatt, but welcome input from others who
may be familiar with the subject name.

Jack, I recall one of your posts to this list, which, I believe, stated you
were in the midst of restoring a C&C, 6'8" grand. I think you were searching
for underlever vellum at the time.   I have come across what I think may be
the same model, and since I don't have much experience with pre-1900 pianos,
I ask for your help.

The piano is 6'8", rosewood, two-pedaled,  flat strung, has a metal plate
"let-in" to the rim, soundboard grain runs parallel to keyboard, 10 ribs
parallel to straight side, underbracing crisscrossed with the crisses at a
level above the crosses, open-faced pinblock slanting up-forward/down-aft,
agraffes through next-to-last register, then holed plate serving as a
one-piece agraffe for the top notes, 85-note compass, Sir Buck Rogers action
and dainty damper heads.  All in all, it's a pretty impressive piano,
especially considering its age.

The piano has had work over the years, (restringing, new tuning pins, damper
felts)  but to do it justice, I think it needs the full Monty--a total
rebuild.

The owner of the piano believes it was built in 1830.  This is based upon a
number (11370) appearing on many of the case parts and most prominently, on
the inside of the rim adjacent to the pinblock's treble end.  If this number
is the serial number, I would not quibble about the 1830 date, though the
actual date might be a year or two earlier according to Pierce.  However, I
believe this number to be the case number because, (A) it's on a lot of case
parts, and (B) the plate and struts seem to be too refined to be in a piano
made just after metal bracing was  introduced to pianos (1826, I think).

There's another number stamped on the back side of the (curved) stretcher,
at the treble end, not far from the number cited above.  It's 967.  I
believe this to be some sort of model number.

There's one last number at the bass corner of the soundboard.  It's 99415.
I believe this to be the serial number, which would correspond to a mfg.
date of about 1875.

Question 1:  Do you think I'm right about these numbers?

My customer wants to sell this piano and from something he saw on the
internet, thinks it can fetch over $20K.  I discouraged such optimism, but
also fessed up that I didn't know much about pianos of this period.  As a
piece of furniture, the piano is exquisite.  The casework and rosewood are
stunning.  However, as a musical instrument, I find it to be lacking and
feel that even total rebuilding may not produce a result commensurate with
the expectations of today's market.

Question 2:  Absent the sentimental factor, is there a market for such a
piano?  Museums?

Question 3:  I do not think the piano would bring anywhere near $20K.  I
tend to think it might be worth about what a premium-brand hulk goes for
these days.  Correct?

Question 4:  Anyone from the list interested?

Thanks,

Cliff Lesher
Winfield, PA