A strings treatment/Isaac/Ron

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:10:32 -0700

Ron said: "At 442 (whatever the reason), with a 55mm length, I get 76% with
(I think)
Sanderson's formula. To keep c-8 under a calculated 60% at 440 would mean
keeping the speaking length at or under 49mm. I'd rather not, thanks. In
real pianos, c-8 lengths up to 54mm (72%) are practical under normal usage.
For wrapped strings, I agree that they shouldn't go much over 55%.

Ron N

Totally agree! Your scale data coincides with mine. Isaac's does not! So?
Hmmm?
Anyway, the idea of having a longer C88 with the breaking strength at/around
the 70%s doesn't bother me until you have one of these "pianer stretcher"
types that tune C88 with the umpteeth partial of C52! I still think someone
is yanking Isaac's chain on this stuff. Either that or he's yankin' ours!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)