Damper Zing

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:22:56 -0500

Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 11:41 AM
I trimmed a couple to see if that would work, and
those swish less than the others, so the bowing effect is the one I am
looking at.  Thanks again!
Clark Sprague

Clark
This reply may be a little late, but I have found that burnishing the guide
rail bushings and ironing all the damper felts will greatly decrease the
"woosh" of the dampers.  You'll have to get creative with a knife blade to
iron the felts in the piano, but you need to remove them any way to get at
the bushings. Use an appropriate size piece of wire to the guide rails, and
a flat blade for the felts.  Place a drop of water on the "iron" and heat it
with your favorite flaming tool. When the water sizzles off, the iron is hot
enough to use. Apply lightly and keep it moving on the felt or in the
bushing. Some lube on the damper wires will insure good results.

Paul C