re- sharp key height

James Perkins jimperkins@mac.com
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:45:49 +0800

Thanks Isaac and others for your helpful suggestions and measurements.

My problem, as you may have guessed, is with regulation.  With sharps
at 12.5mm high I cannot get enough hammer lift to reach string height
unless the sharps dip beneath the white keys.

The white key bottoms at rest are 2mm below the top of the keyslip so I
guess I could lower them a little to 3mm?  That might give me enough
dip on the sharps.

Yes you were right- the original ivories have been replaced at some
time with plastic which gives a key thickness now of 26mms.  Is this
too much?  The plastic is about 1.5mm thick- I believe the ivory would
have been thinner.

With key dip set at 10mm I still have about 13mms of the key above the
keyslip when the key is depressed. Am I right in thinking this is not
an important figure and that I could afford to reduce the key height to
correct the other problems? Although I do not have much room for
movement with minimal punchings on the balance rail.

James Perkins
42 Marlee Road
Parklands
WA 6210