Downbearing gauge/David Love

Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:32:58 -0700

Joe:

After my query I began to look around various websites for dial depth
gauges and came up with a few  that I could use.  They weren't terribly
cheap ($140.00 top $180.00).  The one Schaff sold originally was made by FV
Fowler Company.  You can't get the exact gauge anymore, but something
similar.  It then must be modified with the outer legs.  I was wondering
what the spacing was on the original.  I haven't done the math yet, but it
seems that the outer legs should be a set distance apart so that the
reading from the plunger will actually mean something, or can be translated
easily into degrees.  So if the contact points on the outer legs were 2"
apart then the total number of degrees of bearing represented by the
measurement of x with the plunger would be calculated by ....  I think I
need to pull out the trigonometry book.  I don't know, but something tells
me I'll be hearing from Ron N. on this one.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net