Kimball Knuckles - Responces

Gholley237@cs.com Gholley237@cs.com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:35:59 EDT

To: Alan Barnard - "In The Beginning" - I didn't ask if there was an
imitation buckskin that might be easier than the original stuff.  Again, I should ask
where and from whom?
Yes, after two vodka tonic's it almost became fun.

To:  Roger Bryant - In my younger days, while playing 4 hours a night at a
piano in clubs, 5 wouldn't even faze me!  And then get up a 6:30 AM and work an
8 hour day job.

To: Avery - The Kimball shank has an "intagral knuckle" as part of the shank.
 Can't replace the knuckle, unless one were to shear off the knuckle, cut a
groove, insert a new standard knuckle.  I believe this may be correct.  I'll
need a comment from Joe Garrett on this point.

To:  Thump - I took 2 new shanks with the standard knuckles, dry mounted new
hammers, trimmed the end of the shank to clear the backchecks, took off 2 old
shanks and hammers, and installed the new shanks.  Knuckle matched up with the
jack & window, wippen worked great.  I just about scraped the knuckle rebuild
project and ordered new shanks and hammers.  But, also being stubborn and
wanting to see this through I trodded on.  As far as what shanks are recommended,
I only had new Yamaha shanks to experiment with.

To: Oleg - I believe the leather thinning you refere to is what Joe Garrett
was trying to explain to me, again, I'd need to go back to Joe on this point
and your suggestion.

I thank you all for your comments, they help to fill in some voids on this
project.
BTW, this Farrand Grand is mine, so if I screwed up anything I could just
start over until I got it right.  As I said, I'm still not totally satisfied, I
may still replace the shanks and hammers this fall.  I did replace the wippen
capstan heel cloth on all the wippens, repinned many wippens, major action
cleanup.

This is my second grand to do refurbishing work on. Last year I refurbished a
Starr Grand, with new shanks and hammers, new strings, refinished plate,
pins, felts, refinished sharps, refinished soundboard, etc, etc, etc.   Sold it on
the 2nd day I showed it after completion.  Took my 167 hours from start to
finish.

Regards, Gordon Holley
Associate Member, Indiana Chapter 467
Goshen, IN