Treble resonator

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:52:27 -0500

>I see how the "resonator" would make the belly rail stiffer (good), and it
>would deter outward movement, but wouldn't a good solid hunk of timber be
>at least effective in stiffening the belly rail and preventing any kind of
>movement of the belly rail or rim - either way (not that I think we are
>really worried about significant movement)? Seems to me a good timber in
>there might even have more effect on stiffening the belly rail as it might
>be easier to make a more massive (dowels, epoxy, etc.) bonding mechanism
>between the timber/rail/rim?

Sure it would be at least as effective but, as Del pointed out, more
difficult to install in an existing piano. Even if a beam brace were as
easy to install as the "resonator", it's only a brace. You can't sell a
"brace", but you can sell a bunch of "RESONATORs". The presumption, no,
insistence among those looking on is that the name is an accurate and
honest indicator of what the thing does. Look at the "bell" as an example.
It would do the same thing if it were an amorphous iron glob painted blue
and called a Smurf, and more if it were an inconspicuous black wooden beam
brace with a nose bolt, but because of it's name and shape, it is assigned
all sorts of magical acoustic powers. Yet somehow, in spite of these
magical acoustic powers, that's still the killer octave with all the
characteristics that earned it the name.

And since someone will inevitably point this out, no, I don't "believe" the
killer octave is "bad" because it's called the killer octave. The marketing
department didn't name the killer octave, techs did because of it's too
often obvious problems.

>Seems to me the main advantage with the "resonator" is a mental one for
>those that subscribe to the belief that soundboards go flat because the
>rim and belly rail migrate outwards.

We can thank Mason & Hamlin for that, and they still make the same claim.

Ron N