Setting bearing: was Component Downbearing Gauge

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:00:39 -0500

>So this creates an effective multiplier for calculating height of a string
>above the rear string rests at the point when the stretched string just
>touches the front of the bridge.  For 1 degree, multiply the rear string
>length in inches by .018; for 1.5 degrees, by .027; for 1/2 degree by .009;
>etc..

Yes, but the multiplier has always been there, long before the gage. In
Excel, sin(radians(1))=0.017452, sin(radians(1.5))=0.026177, and
sin(radians(0.5))=0.008727.

>The other challenge is deciding how much bearing one should have in
>a given section.   This seems to depend on the amount of available crown
>and the relative stiffness of the board.

Or at least it should, as well as the free back scale length. We see plenty
of examples in the wild with no obvious evidence that any of these factors
were even briefly considered.

>What is the best way, I've often
>wondered, to calculate the amount of deflection that is likely to occur on
>a given board under so many pounds of downward pressure--we're talking
>about new and old boards.  If you knew that, then it would be easier to
>figure out the amount of bearing.

Yes it would. Loading the board with a few wedges under plate struts is
probably about the best we can do with both an old board and a new one
copied from the original. Even so, we only get an indication of how stiff
the board is at that moment, which is no predictor of how it will be next
year.

>However, I've also heard several
>perspectives on this, from the goal of achieving a deflection of 1/2 the
>available crown, to flattening the board entirely.  I'd be interested to
>hear comments on this.
>
>David Love

It depends on the board, it's design and general condition, most of which
we can only guess at when we're deciding what to do. I would however,
disagree with anyone who says that a "conventional" soundboard that has
enough bearing on it to push it flat is a viable system. Manufacturers say
"you can't tell the condition of soundboard crown with the piano strung",
which I consider to be nonsense. That's precisely when you can tell the
condition of the crown and load capacity of the soundboard. Techs who don't
do belly work say "it's the sound that matters, not the crown". Which is
essentially true except that these folks so very often don't seem to hear
or consider objectionable, the sounds indicating soundboard problems. Like
the manufacturers, "it's the sound that counts", but when it sounds lousy
and the board is concave, then what?

It's always been interesting and frustrating to me that while we all would
like one or two simple checklist rules that universally apply, it doesn't
work like that. There dozens, if not hundreds, of decisions either made or
allowed to happen without notice or consideration that make up the
cumulative effect. We've discussed a lot, probably most of these things a
number of times in some detail on the list. It's a big subject for as
simple as it is, and everything depends on most everything else.  So how
much bearing should we put in what section of what specific piano? Whatever
sounds best.

Ron N