V-cap update

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:28:11 +0200

Hi Keith.

First... you want to buy a few small neodym magnets... you'll be amazed
at the difference in power... little bitty things can push 50 grams no
problem at 5 mm..... a neodym 40 mm across and 10 mm thick can lift 50
kilos....

Anyways... as to your question. Epoxy or CA glue. They recommend CA. For
the whippens I countersunk the magnets and glued them. For the keys I am
going to sink them (and glue) in a small letoff button that has a drop
screw inserted through. The drop screw will then screw into the shank
thats pinned to the key.

For experiments tho.. the neodyms will stay put just on a steel screw,
where as the kitchen magnets probably wont.

Order a few in the size range Ø3 - 5 mm diameter and 3 - 5 mm thickness
and fool around with them. There are perhaps several ways of employing
these usefully in the action.

One thing I heard suggested was to put attracting magnets in both the
capstan and whippen cushion to form more of a solid coupling between
those too... just a thought

Cheers

RicB

--