Tricky Hammers

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:54:21 -0700

Hi Paul,
If you sent sample hammers, me thinks that they screwed up royally. No way
are hammers 0.5 wider and longer tails going to fit without a whole lot of
extra work.
I understand your reluctance to not use the hammers as the piano was already
down for 8 weeks and the coustomer getting restless.
Better go with some one who is a little more prompt and also asks questions
about things that do not seem right. Like Ari Isaac. He has been a great
help to me and has wonderful hammers to boot.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Tizzard" <ptizzard@mweb.co.za>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 4:24 PM
Subject: Tricky Hammers

> Hi list,
>
> I've just been through a bit of a harrowing experience. I have
approximately 4 years experience working for myself, and up to now have not
had too many "surprises".
> My harrowing experience comes from putting a set of hammers on a Carl Ecke
Grand, circa 1920's. I followed the usual procedure and sent for duplicate
hammers from Renner Germany. Due to the timing of the order, end of year,
the hammers took 8 weeks to arrive. I was glad when they finally did,
because the owner of the piano started to get a little worried I think.
Anyway,  I went about fitting the hammers: setting and fitting the new
samples, replacing every second hammer, paying strict attention to the
alignment etc. As I progressed, I noticed that several hammers in the bass
section were rubbing against each other. "Oh well I'll sort that out later"
I thought. Well here I am 3 days later, with the problem finally solved. But
did I sweat blood, aligning them to the string, then casting, then
realigning, then casting, then scratching my head and you get the idea!
Eventually with the help of a more experienced Tech, I got all the little
buggers to hit the string and nothing el!
> se.
> I just wondered if this was a common experience with duplicate hammers. I
did send samples with the order. The replacement hammers differed in tail
length and the new hammers were about 0.5 mm wider. The bore angle was a
pretty good match. The moulding shape also differed quit a lot, not drastic
though. I eventually had to reshape the shoulders and the sides of the
tails.