Tricky Hammers

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:40:35 -0500

At 1:24 AM +0200 1/31/03, Paul Tizzard wrote:
>I just wondered if this was a common experience with duplicate
>hammers. I did send samples with the order. The replacement hammers
>differed in tail length and the new hammers were about 0.5 mm wider.
>The bore angle was a pretty good match. The moulding shape also
>differed quit a lot, not drastic though. I eventually had to reshape
>the shoulders and the sides of the tails.
>Any help would be appreciated.

Just how close a size match were the old and the new. You mention
that the latter are 0.5mm thicker, but how about the bore length, how
about the width across the shoulders. When these get bigger, you
quickly lose the clearance which the bass hammers need.

You probably found that leaning them helped. 19th Century piano
frequency have bevels sliced into them once again to restore
clearance. (Not just uprights but grands as well.)

I'm glad you survived it. (Did you check for fresh spouts in the
chest hairs? <g>)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."