Aural Tuning Method-Was: Re: tuning charges

Paul Chick (EarthLink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:04:30 -0600

Dave and Others

The following is an amalgamation of common techniques and new approaches to
aural pitch correction tuning.
    Look at the tricord tuning pin sections.  There are 5 horizontal rows of
pins. The pins in the top two and bottom two rows are one whole step apart,
i.e. every other unison.  The middle row is the center pin in each unison.
Two strip mutes are inserted from the low end of the section in whole step
patterns. The location of the left string in unison 87 and 88 determine the
pattern of inserting 2 strip mutes; the number of unisons in the upper
section determine the starting point.  If there is an odd number of unisons,
the first mute is started in the first space between unisons. The Damper
pedal in verticals is depressed, and the mute strip is pushed below the
damper line.  The second strip is then inserted into the other spaces and
slid below the damper line.
    The center section is completely strip muted in the usual ( every space)
pattern in vertical pianos.  A strip mute is used in the bass bicords and
across the break to the bicords in the treble.  You now have 4 strip mutes
inserted.  I use a wedge mute(s) on the end unisons.  This whole process
takes about 3 minutes.
    Pitch correct if necessary.  If the notes beat faster than 4-5 bps, I
pitch correct by roughing in the temperament and tune down through the bass
then up to the treble.  If the string condition is good and I don't think
string breakage is an issue, I'll pull up the muted string of each note with
the same amount of pin turning used on the center string.  When in doubt, I
pull the mutes as described later.  This step usually takes about 7-10
minutes.
    Set your temperament ( ET, WT, ETD, ETC).  I tune down the bass first,
leaving in the strip mute in, then tune up to C88. ETD users can start on A0
if they choose.  The top strip mute (the second strip inserted in the
treble) is pulled, exposing the left string of every other note. Pull the
center section mute and re-insert it to match the muted upper section. Tune
down from C88 through the center section following the top row. Select the
matching bottom row with open strings, back to the top.  Pull the second
strip and repeat.  I continue down through the bicords, then return to the
remaining tricords back to the top.  Each step takes about 10 minutes.
Unison 87 and 88 will keep you on track if you are interrupted.  Mute
handling is almost eliminated.  I use a wedge mute during the last pass to
aid in cleaning up unisons or pitch correction.  The tuning is checked with
a battery of octave/interval tests.  The whole process is usually completed
in 45-55 minutes, including pitch correction.
There is another muting technique if you prefer to tune unisons as you go in
half steps, or with an ETD.    A presentation at the Central West Regional
Seminar and the Annual Institute in Dallas, will cover more details,
materials, and techniques.

Paul Chick