Muffler felt problem

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 23:09:28 -0600

Chuck, Don,

A thinner felt also helps, though you can't eliminate the occasional
neighbor strings from sounding at times. Of course, in my mind that
is part of the magic when the muffler rail is in use. Those faint
dissonant sounds every now and then.

I should add that I have never modified an existing manufacturer's
rail to date. But I have made customized muffler rails for pianos
that don't have them. Really quite nice when they're installed close
to the strings and a very thin felt is used. It produces a sweet,
soft sound.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731