Tuning problems: capo improvement suggestions

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:43:02 -0600

>>Now I have a question. If string cutting of iron V bars is such a
>>horrible problem, why isn't it such a horrible problem in agraffes?
>
>I think it is Ron, but the symptom (string noise) as it appears in the
>capo-with-front-duplex sections doesn't present to the same degree in the
>agraffed section, since the (usually) shorter free string length between
>the agraffe and the bearing felt or bearing bar reduces the ability for
>string noise to develop. Mind you, many agraffes do present with a slight
>'zing' which is directly attributable to poorly shaped or deformed string
>holes.
>
>Notice that upright pianos are far less subject to string noise, yet the V
>bars in many cases are quite poorly shaped. Furthermore, the pressure bar
>is often of a quite large radius also. Nevertheless the shorter free
>length between the V bar and pressure bar tends to control string noise.

Hi Ron,
This was where I as going with this - that V bar shape or hardness isn't
the only, or necessarily the prime reason for rendering and noise problems.
Will a wider radius V bar with no specific hardening having been done to it
give as good or better performance than the softer agraffe with even wider
radius termination? I think it surely will if the counterbearing angle is
right, and the front duplex length is short.

>I don't regard the bar itself to be a critical factor, but when someone
>else designed the plate you are using (and that someone designed the plate
>such that the bearing felt was too far away from the agraffe), it becomes
>necessary to add a bar to achieve the shorter string free length.
>
>Ron O

There are always some sorts of limitations we have to work around. We just
tend (hope) to upgrade our limitations and refine our work arounds as we go.

Ron N