Tuning problems under capo bar

Michael Gebhardt michael.gebhardt@swipnet.se
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:15:07 +0100

> What you describe is a typical symptom of a Capo' which
> has developed excessive friction, due to deformation
> which has occurred when the soft iron bar has been cut by
> the piano wire. In 1980, Steinway were doing nothing to
> the bar. Not only was the shape of the bar pretty
> ordinary, but the cast iron was extremely soft.

> Today, Steinway Hamburg are treating the bar to increase
> its hardness (I have heard reports of them using a laser
> beam for heat treatment). Unfortunately, the hardness
> level remains inadequate since even their latest
> outpourings develop string grooves (and noise) in a very
> short time.

> Indeed, your  parent's piano requires a restring and the
> bars need to be reshaped and hardened. Its just a waste
> of time trying to tune an instrument with this problem,
> since it'll be 'screaming' before the ink is dry on the
> cheque.

Well, the instrument has been tuned regularly since my
parents bought it, it always sounded very pleasent after
tuning, at least to the non-piano technician. And it stayed
in tune very well. The tuner who they hired tuned it in
about two hours, so it didn't take him too much time and he
obviously had the problem under control.

Why do you suggest restringing? Wouldn't reshaping (and
possibly hardening) the capo be enough or is it because the
strings have been damaged by the grooves in the bar?

Regards

Michael